Winter Weather Safety
A belated Happy New Year to you all!
Just weeks ago we rang in 2021. Our winter has been very quiet so far as we Californians do our rain dances and watch the hills. Well, it worked. This coming week we are expecting some significant rain so let’s get ready! An Atmospheric River is forecast which could lead to flooding. Dust off your rainboots and grab your umbrellas. Here are few tips to get you on your way:
- Sign up for Alerts. Alert Monterey County if you are Monterey County or CodeRED for Santa Cruz County.
- Stay informed. Tune into local news and radio for updates.
- Have your Disaster Kit ready to go if you live in an area close to a burn scar.
- Prepare for your needs in your household. Plan for food, water and medical needs.
- Know your flood risk. Where does the rain pool? Clean gutters and clear leaves off of nearby storm drains. Make sure pipes and ditches on your property are not obstructed. If you live near a creek, take special precautions.
- In the event of a power outage make sure you have flashlights or lanterns nearby.
- When roads are closed due to flooding, trees down or mudslides, you may need to leave your area by a different route than you are accustomed to. Learn these routes now, before you need them.
- Always maintain at least a half a tank of gas in your vehicles.
- Check in on your neighbors.
- Bring your pets inside.
Be safe everyone!